Monday, December 5, 2011

Bullying: The Great-American Past Time



A friend of mine posted this video to facebook, and it really affected me.

Bullying has been a major part of our society since the very beginning.

Being different, always threatens the insecure masses to act out, in an effort to make themselves feel better. But when is it enough?

There are so many young people in this world suffering the effects of bullying. They are being hurt emotionally, and physically. Worse still, they are being pushed to hurting themselves.

This topic is close to my heart, not because I was bullied as a kid. Thankfully, I was blessed. I grew up always being bigger than the other kids, but unlike those victimized by bullying, I was never subjected to that treatment. Unlike some others who were spared that treatment, I realize just how lucky I was.

Too many kids and adults alike are not spared, they are victimized everyday, and worse yet, all the anti-bullying bullshit movements, seem to convenient ignore everyday people who are bullied.

It's good for your resume to be apart of such a movement, but that is all it's good for.

I know you've seen the ads on television. Celebrities speaking about anti-bullying, they think that putting a commercial on television is enough. But it isn't!

We raise our children to fear what is different. We pray that they are "normal." Interestingly enough "normal" can not be defined, because NO ONE IS NORMAL!

Instead of talking about anti-bullying. Let's put an honest effort into stoping it. Let's take action, instead of just nodding our heads whenever we see the commercial with our favorite celebrities.

This movement is bigger than celebrities, it is bigger than filling our resumes to portray that we actually care.

The first step to stoping this tragic epidemic, is to raise our children to have open minds, and to be accepting of anyone who is different.

Don't force societal norms, down anyone's throat.

Look into this kid's eyes, see the tears stream down his face. (Don't worry if it's real or fake, that is irrelevant)

Let's do our part to end this. Not just talk about it, not just write about it. I will not only write about it, but I will do my best to put it into action.

I will befriend those who are different than me. I will defend the innocent people who are victimized. I will speak out, and I will teach my children (when I have some) to love everyone equally, and to accept people for who they are.

Christopher Columbus, came to this country, and bullied the Native Americans. They brought this horrible act to a peaceful country. Let's reverse the act, that this country has allowed to become a societal norm.

Just one time, let's do something to better humanity.

The next time you see someone who is different than you are, reach out your hand, and say Hi.

As cliché as it is, one handshake, one spontaneous Hi, Can save someone's life.

Think about it, if all you needed was a handshake and a Hi, to save your life, wouldn't you want someone, anyone, to reach out?

No comments:

Post a Comment